Wednesday 26 September 2007

Nu Tunes

Scratchy Sevens!
Having talked alot about ripping vinyl recently
Here’s some choice catches from my latest trawl of Deptford flea market .

My first offering is a single by Frank Sinatra I will drink the wine 1971 Reprise which comes from the end of his peak period. (I don’t know much about it the wikipedia entry isn’t very informative I know this because I had to add the details from the label of my copy to their discography!)

I have cleaned it up using audacity to remove some of the crackle see what you think.
I won’t say too much about t’old Frank except to say all the nonsense about the Rat pack, Mafia etc seems to have obscured the fact that no one would’ve heard of him, if he couldn’t sing the stars out of the sky.

Next up: Eddie Floyd. I’ve been feeling bad 1967 Stax:
Popular history tells us Stax had 2 main stars the Sainted Otis Redding and the shouty Rufus Thomas. This track is from a backroom boy who moved to the front office. Eddie Floyd is most famous for writing “knock on wood”, but also penned other songs including this one, it’s a wonderful example of southern soul. With some excellent organ and great singing .
enjoy!
UPDATE WED 26TH Late afternoon
Dear all, the links above are working now. sorry for any problems

3 comments:

Mondo said...

That's a couple of tip top choices, I'm having problems with the links though.

I would also recommend a couple of overlooked Frank Classic's

Cycles from 1968 -which includes
Gentle on My Mind
By the Time I Get to Phoenix
Little Green Apples

And Live At The Sands - which is Frank at the peak of his powers, backed by Count Basie with arrangements by Quincy Jones. It has the best version of You Make Me Feel So Young you'll ever hear

BLTP said...

Mr Mondo:
Oops that's a shame divshare seem to be playing with their servers. I may need to find another online sharing site.
Will check out the Frank you suggested. Am looking for a version of "this one's for the losers" at the moment.

Rob said...

that Sinatra tune is groovy - nice one BLTP