Tuesday 17 June 2008

Real Victorian Values

Best Song this Week.
There is a resurgence in 60’s tinged pop at the moment your adeleduffywinehouses which is all to the good, most of these women seem to love music so good luck to them.
I don’t think it matters whether they are better or worse than those who have gone before, people who like making music is something we like round here.

Having said that I’m always wary of the praise for the likes of Girls aloud and also that dubious phrase “classic pop” which usually means “music that smart clever people like me like, not that pleby stuff”.

I’ve never really got Girls Aloud they just seem a bit dead they don’t seem to like music, they are all a bit dull.

Anyway enough of today, I was wandering round London’s London the other day. It was sunny and I had an urge for some pop so I headed for HMV and shockingly in the basement they have a whole rack of Ace records reissues. Before you could say “dandelion and burdock” I had snapped up a best of Link Ray and blurty saxophone thing and best of all a compilation of girl groups called “where the Girls are Vol 1”.

Its dead good, full of little gems, you should head here immediately and buy it.
It contains my favourite song this week its wonderful Spectresque wall of sound classic with a strange mix of Camptown races and some excellent mariachi trumpets. It has a marvellous sound of throbbing wedding party heard from the parking lot as if it’s fallen from a Scorsese soundtrack.
The singer is Gloria Hargis who seems to have made few 45’s in 60’s and gone back to session work and singing in church.

Oh and the other best bit the band were called The Victorians. This is just fantastic.
Also on the compilation is the marvellously monikered Reparata & the Delrons who look cool in this pic and aren’t too shabby in the studio either.

It is shame that the likes of Gloria and Reparata are barely known and yet dead eyed kit kat peddling drones like girls aloud are all over the place.
So do the right thing and get yourself at copy today.

Oh and the album includes two songs from two famous “gals” can guess who they are? No cheating now.

Extra time bonus:

Found this t’other day it’s slice of pure 80’s synth pomp reminding me more of the theme to some TV cop show or straight the video Robocop knock off. It’s actually the theme that played as we all ranted at the TV while that cheating get Maradonna hand balled his way into history at 3 in the morning, yes I’m still bitter.







Look in my diary by Reparata & the Delrons (Ace)


Oh what a night for love by The Victorians (liberty )


Aztec Lightning Mexico 86


Girl group quiz who's who?

11 comments:

Mondo said...

Blimey - girl quiz is a toughy.
The wobbly warbler sounds like Lynn Anderson, the second one sounds like Sandy Shaw. But bet I'm wrong on both.

BLTP said...

not even close!

Cocktails said...

Absolutely no bloody idea.

The first one sounds like the Shangri-las crossed with Dolly Parton, but isn't. The second one sounds like it ought to be Lynsey de Paul, but isn't.

That Victorians track is good though. Classic pop, you know.

ally. said...

dolly dolly dolly (i know cos it came up on my player thing) and it sounds just like her obviously - how old was she - very little i reckon. the other's reallty familiar but i can't quite get there.
and anything that says 'mariachi horns' is always going to get me going
x
ps
have you heard dollys version of tracks of my tears off her new lp - it's marvelous
x

Cocktails said...

so it was Dolly Parton? I wasn't just imagining it?

Well, fancy that. Tell us who the other one was then!

BLTP said...

Curses I thought I'd covered my tracks yes it is Dolly from 1965 ish i think. As for the other one it's someone you've all heard of but I think she wouldn't want to be thought of as a "girl".

Cocktails said...

Well, who is it then?!!!!!!

BLTP said...

The "owner" of the second voice is rather surprisingly for a "girl group" comp, someone who always provided a "woman's touch"................... Ms Doris Day.

Cocktails said...

Doris Day. Well, I am surprised. Never would have guessed that.

al_uk said...

On the football front one of my fave football songs is England 2 Columbia 0 from Kirsty McColl. But then Kirsty can do no wrong for me.

BLTP said...

al: you not wrong I was going to best footy songs for the euros but it's a bit old hat and as everyone knows the answer is world in motion, kicker conspiracy the fall, ya kirtsy, sharp as needle by tackhead and you'll never walk alone.....