Sunday 15 June 2008

Phase 4 classics?

I Spy Thrilling tunes

Here’s a lp I got recently It’s one of Phase 4 many compilations, (world of spy thrillers). It’s one I bought for the cover, the tunes however aren’t too bad though, particularly if you’ve not got them elsewhere. It’s very stereo in places which isn’t a bad thing.




Couple of things.
The sleeve is just strange I know things were different in 1970’s but which hairy faced fray bentos eating 3 pints of harp at lunch drinking Rothmans smoking tank top wearing lost in cloud of spray mount scalpel wielding junior graphic designer thought it was groovy thing to have girls in bikinis for target practice, it’s weird and faintly creepy.

Also who bought all these lp’s I know there are types like me who like bit of lounge but did people really listen to these discs particularly as the early 1970’s weren’t exactly devoid of good tunes?

Anyway starting off with a funky take on the Mission Impossible theme which wins the award for theme tune that’s way way way better than the show/film it went with.

Next up on a mournful tip is the theme from the "spy who came in from the cold" which perfectly matches the films obsession with mournful cafes, stewed tea, flat pints in bleak boozers, damp book shops and damper and danker boarding rooms.


Minus Sadly Miss Bassey but still very funky last up is a version of “Diamonds are Forever”.
Enjoy!


Misson Impossible (Roland Shaw)






Spy who came in from the cold (Roland Shaw)


Diamonds are forever (Roland Shaw)




3 comments:

ally. said...

in my tshirt stall down portabello days i did a very nice phase4stereo number. went down very well.
x

Mondo said...

Marvellous haul - right up my Carnabay St.,Were Phase 4 meant to be the Decca version of EMI's Studio 2?

Ian said...

One of my favourite albums as a 13-year-old boy! The music AND the sexy ladies! Oh yes! (Didn't worry me at the time that they were being used for target practice! You're right, it is a BIT weird.)