Tuesday 13 May 2008

The Hot Sound of Young Hunslet


Leeding Lights

I’m at risk of sounding like a professional Northerner but here are some tunes from Leeds. Now having talked a lot about the charms of gods own county, Leeds isn’t exactly a music city with the honourable exception the Mighty CUD, the weddoes, Soft Cell (sort of) you are getting to the end of Leed’s contribution to popular music. A poor showing compared with Mancfester and d’pool, even Sheff fares much better.

Anyway battling for West Yorkshire for few years in d’60’s came twin brothers Barry and Paul Ryan with possibly the maddest 7 inch ever made. The A is the marvellous Eloise which is so over the top it’s almost in Lancashire followed 5mins later by “Love I almost found” which is my current fave. I can’t believe the strings have not ended up on some young persons dance housey housey record by Jeyes fluid or snoopy snoopy dog dog.

My copy been used as pit prop so it is a tad sibilant but enjoy it anyway.
By the way Paul wrote the songs and wrote this


Eloise


Love I almost found you

10 comments:

ally. said...

flipping marvelous record - it helped some much needed exercise along no end - ta
x

al_uk said...

What about The Kaiser Chiefs? Red lorry Yellow lorry?Pigeon Detectives, Whitesnake (apparently), Sister of mercy

BLTP said...

The chiefs only have one good song.
RLYL who knows never heard them.
the PD have a bobbins name and therefore are bobbins.
Whitesnake moving swiftly one.
and as for the Sisters surely they are from some forgot corner of Hell not Horsforth, they are old nicks devil dogs out to free us all with their dry ice, cowboy hats and cheeks bones. i went to a goth party once in leeds that andrew eldritch was supposed to be at, although it more likely to be the drummer from new model army!
oh and you forgot the bridewell taxis and age of chance

al_uk said...

Shame on you...and I thought you were a John Peel fan, he used to play RLYL all the time...but of course that must have been before you started to listen to John Peel, in the good old days when he was really really good instead of just good..you youngsters!

BLTP said...

Whatever their appeal I don't think they ever gave the Human League a run for their money or the smiths, or the frankies which was my point ;) now if we are talking about bands from town.....

Unknown said...

Not just the Sisters - you've forgotten that Leeds invented Goth! They're all from round there aren't they?

This is where you go - "No, I haven't forgotten goth. But I was talking about worthwhile contributions to music."

BLTP said...

I though Whitby was Goths spiritual home, ya southern goths siouxsie and that were never up ta much and it all seems to be a bit debased now a days when goth equals black tshirt and the odd ear ring, Goths were Goths when I was a lad....

Clair said...

Eloise! Gets my vote for being the Biggest-Sounding Song Ever.But I like the quieter bit at the end best.

Cocktails said...

I've been saving Eloise for a Friday afternoon - it's such a great, great song. I also have a ripper French cover which I might well post one day... The other track is pretty good too.

BLTP said...

Clair and CM. I was struck by how much I liked it I thought I'd prefered the dammneds version, I like the way he sings the trill in middle and the mad coda. I was amazed the "love I almost found you" was b side we seemed to have good songs to spare in the '60's. I'm glad it's gone down so well I'll stop now before I get smutty.......