Tuesday 16 June 2009

Peak of perfection


Back from Yorkshire:Had an excellent time in the company of A & B and of course S.W.A.M!

Some minor revelations: we may have found a contender for Birkinshaw’s (of Map) King of Pies Crown with Hinchcliffe’s coming up on the rails (believe me these things are important).

Stating the obvious award 2009: The Peak district is quite pretty. I know hardly contentious but the sunset on Saturday evening was truly magical “you’d never know you were 5 miles from industrial Barnsley.....”

Larkin’ about: Oh and if you stare out of the train window on a summer’s evening watching the English countryside go by listening to “the lark arising” by Vaughan Williams you are in danger of having a good time. It was ridiculous almost clichéd scene with at least three cricket matches, the pointiest church steeples, ribbons of bobbing daisies and poppies, 2 hot air balloons and a pair of excited children waving at the train (yes, I did wave back).

Blot on the landscape: oh and to the grumpy older couple across the aisle (no it was no problem lifting your case on to the rack no need to thank me and yes we were all in the wrong seats get over it) some of us thought the cooling towers near East midlands airport were one of the highlights of journey and I fear if we “blew the bloody lot of them up” we might not be able to boil a kettle on evening oh and I hope your sarnies didn’t taste as bad as they smelt.

3 comments:

Mondo said...

Where were you staying - I had a trip to Meltham couple of months back..

BLTP said...

I was staying at my brother's in Barnsley but we went to Honley show near Holmfirth. I think Meltham is just the other side.

Mondo said...

Meltham yes just north of Holmfirth - you must, must, must try Riverhead Brewery Tap at Marsden a pub with it's own brewery. Possibly the best pint I've ever had - they sell bottles of Chimay too, so you know it's gonna be a goody when you sees that