Thursday 7 August 2008

Pies and Bull Fighting!


Just plain Madness

I have fondness for slightly heightened records see “Eloise” and also slightly strange creepy or other songs from second string 60’s pop bands trying to be profound or freaky. See this and also The Association. Who are excellent at close harmony but try a little too hard sometimes with the words.
Well the other day I was down Portobello with A and B and popped into the excellent Oxfam record and book shop and I found a couple of things one of which was best of the Association.

Which led me to Requiem for the Masses (do you see what they did) which is marvellously over the top as well as being daft. here's the lyrics in full .
Any song that starts “mama leave your pies” and then goes on about Matadors is guaranteed to get my attention.
The other song Enter the Young (more lyrics)just makes me smiles, for being sunny and poppy and also surely the perfect cover version for Frankie Howard.
Requiem For the Masses : The Association



Enter the Young: The Association

6 comments:

ally. said...

my word - what fool would part with such a treasure. it's worth looking at some of the youtube clips cos they were a fairly mad looking bunch
x

Cocktails said...

How have I not heard anything by this band? Probably because they release 7 minute 'requiems'... Brilliant. I particularly love the fact that are so earnest and serious sounding.

Mondo said...

Winners all the way - Masses really kicks off after the 4 minute mark doesn't it.

And ETY (I won't type the full title, could set off alarm bells at internet police HQ) is like the Monkees meets Decca period Bowie.

I'll check the new electro band when I'm home - Myspace is blocked here

BLTP said...

Brucey Bonus:
That'll learn me not to listen top things all the way through. The sharp eared will have noticed that Requiem goes into "along comes Mary" oops! If you've got audacity you cna snip and double your fun!

Cocktails said...

I just thought that it was some kind of arty 'song in two parts' statement.

Gary Crowley played their version of Windy on Sat. night. Pretty good. Is it on this LP?

BLTP said...

I should have just winging it and not said anything. Yes, "windy" is on my version of the greatest hits.