Tuesday 19 August 2008

A dash to the finish

Some more ‘lympic musings:

This American swimmer (Michael Phelps) who wins all the medals, how come if he’s the “greatest Olympian of all time ever, ever” no one can list the events he’s won. I did a test in the office and all I got was a jumble styles and distances. The basic conclusion was oh “it’s all the ones with front crawl in’em I think”.


Tri-ing too hard:
Watched the men’s triathlon while munching toast this morning:
Sadly I think it’s tainted, it has a strong whiff of middle management about it all. Every competitor looks like an IT exec or a sales consultant; they look like when they are not racing bikes in their pants that they plough up the M4 in their M3’s shouting into blue tooth headsets. You can imagine that after 5 mins of conversation with one of them you’d here the deathless phrase “yeah me and Jo have just come back from trekking in Patagonia ...yeah we left the builders finishing the kitchen..... we’re off kite surfing next weekend ......”

Tuff of the Track:
Steve Ovett was on BBC1 talking sense this morning, I must admit as lad I was in the Coe camp (he was local lad from Sheffield which helped) and much like Liverpool seemed to win a race every Wednesday evening after we came back from scouts. Then Coe came out as a Tory (like Emlin Hughes) and I dropped him straight away and moved over to Steve Ovett, who always seemed a bit chippy and was not as glamorous as Coe but was just as great a runner.

We’ll have to see if Andy Baddeley can come up with the goods tonight.

No comments: