Tuesday 29 July 2008

Piers of the realm: slight return



I was going to post some Stephen Patrick to go with my Pier post but I assumed any right thinking type would have “every day is like Sunday”. So I did a search for cover versions and found that most were rotten. This chap here saved my the bother but are any of them any good?


I don’t think this is a song for Americans to sing, I don’t think even anglophiles like Chrissie Hynde full understand the horror of British Sundays before all day drinking, or have danced on towels trying to avoid getting sands in their smalls in a icy cold gritty gale. Also none of the covers have help from Stephen Street and Vini Reily.

2 comments:

Mondo said...

And the childhood boredom of nowhere to go, nothing to do, not a shop open and ghost town silence everywhere

ally. said...

perhaps i might suggest the siddeleys singing 'my favourite wet wednesday afternoon" with it's beautiful refrain -"the sight of the facade of the palace hotel southend..."
x